Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Gluten free at a brewery? YES!!!!

It took a while but eventually I got over my initial depression regarding never being able to eat my favorite foods again or ever drink another beer. And what about restaurant meals?  Was I relegated to a lifetime of drooling over an empty plate while my family ate hunks of warm bread slathered with salty creamy butter? 

Fortunately, I was mistaken in all those instances.  After hours of googling and reading blogs I started to see a light at the end of the tunnel.  It's a big city out there!  And there are options!  Even for people like me!

My first foray into the scary restaurant world of potential cross-contamination and wait staff confusion was to the Heartland Brewery on 8th Av and 41st st.  I had read that they gluten free items on their menu and yes, even gf beer!  I was not disappointed. 
The gluten free items are listed right on the regular menu and include items in each category.  GF Appetizers include Chili, nachos with the works, buffalo wings, BBQ shrimp, and mussels.  There are several types of salad as well.  Do you want a burger and fries?  You can have that too, although without the bun.  They wrap their signature HB burger in a lettuce leaf for you.  I'm sure you could bring your own gf bun if you really wanted to. 
As for entrees you have six options including PASTA!!!  Other main courses include BBQ ribs, various steaks and chicken dishes. 
We opted to share the nachos as a starter and boy were they yummy!  The nachos were piled high with two types of cheese, salsa, beef chili, guacamole, sour cream and jalapenos!  I was even able to wash it all down with gluten free beer.  Bard's Tale is a delicious alternative to those of us who love a good beer but can no longer consume gluten. 
For my main course I had the St. Louis BBQ ribs and french fries.  yes, you can have fries!  I was skeptical too but after asking my very knowledgeable waitress she informed me that french fries were fried totally separately to avoid cross contamination.  They were the best fries I have ever eaten!!
The only disappointment was no gluten free dessert options.  Luckily I was already full so I wasn't too disappointed.  It was so exciting to sit down in a restaurant and have so many options that I was actually indecisive!  So head over to this Heartland Brewery location and support their efforts to offer the gluten free community delicious options. 

No comments:

Post a Comment