Monday, May 9, 2011

Rubirosa = A happy happy girl!

My second foray into the restaurant world...I admit it I was scared.  I was vetoing restaurant suggestions left and right.  I didn't want to be glutened.  I had read a review of Rubirosa on Mulberry St. in NoLita that sounded like a cheesy, saucy, too-good-to-be-true-for-an-italian-food-lover-with-celiac-disease dream.  So it had to be next on the list of safe restaurants.  And I must say it did not disappoint for one second. 
In my opinion Rubirosa has the best gf pizza I have tried so far. And the chicken parm was to die for. Pasta was great...I can not say one bad thing about this place except we couldn't get a reservation and so had to wait quite a while. However it was a beautiful night and we sat outside and waited mostly patiently...   It was worth every second of the wait.
Our food came out when it was ready not all together but everything was out within 5 minutes of each other and it was really no big deal. Try this place, you will not be disappointed. Oh and the waitress was gf too and when I declined dessert thinking they didn't have anything for me she informed me that in fact they do have a gf dessert. However, I was unable to partake in the flour less chocolate cake as the rest of my party wanted to go around the corner for rice pudding at rice to riches..(all flavors but 2 were gf).
Oh, and as we were leaving my friends asked the hostess about what they do to prevent cross-contamination and they said they have a totally separate area of the kitchen for the gf foods, totally separate utensils, chefs etc. Good to know they take proper precautions.
I'm sorry I didn't get a photo of the pizza we had as an appetizer, the slices flew off of the pizza pan way too quickly.  The only photo I did get was when I restrained myself for 5 seconds and snapped the chicken parmesan. 
Leftovers were great the next day too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment